Tuesday, March 8, 2011

No. 26: The First Four Years

The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I didn't love this one as much. Poor Laura, she has had a lot of hardship and tragedy in her life. And it just keeps coming, more bad crops, more debt, losing her baby, Alamanzo's mystery disease, the fire, hail, terrible illness, that sad sad scene with the Boasts after Rose was born it just never stops. It makes me sad so I don't like it half as much as the last book which pretty much only made me happy.

I did like the description of the pantry in Laura and Alamanzo's new house - actually all the description of her moving in and settling into married life was pretty good. You can tell how much they loved each other and Rose. But overall, this is not in the save vein as the other books - probably because it was not written at the same time as the others but rather is based on a diary of Laura's and was published after Laura and Rose's deaths.

I had to read it to finish the series, but if you are reading this series with kids - I would leave it out. Then they can end on the happy note of Laura and Alamanzo's upcoming marriage and have hopeful thoughts for their future.

No comments: