Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No. 138: The Year of Living Biblically

The Year of Living Biblically One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible by A.J. Jacobs

I thought this book was really interesting. Not as funny as the encyclopedia one, though it did have its funny parts, this book was really thought provoking and educational. Which is really not the kind of book I usually read, but it was a good change.

In the first 2/3 or so of the book, the author attempts to follow the Old Testament rules. And I mean all the rules - he read the bible and wrote down everything that seemed like a rule. A lot of which seem kind of bizarre - wear white, build a hut, don't wear clothes of mixed fibers - but some that seemed really good - tithe and be thankful and pray. In the end of the book he focused more on the New Testament, which because I know it better than the Old was not as interesting to me, but I enjoyed his perspective on the things I know. The author is jewish, but identifies himself as agnostic, so although he is more familier with the Jewish tradition, he isn't 100% sold on it. He also spoke with many "spiritual advisers" from many different faiths. I thought their advice was all very thoughtful, no matter what religion they practiced. I thought his journey was very compelling - and I particularly enjoyed the progression of his beard, kind of amazing! I would totally recommend this book to anyone who is interested in religion or history.

The book didn't address every religion, but I was happy to note that Lutherans got a few mentions :)

No comments: