Wednesday, November 24, 2010

No 117: Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

I started this book in the airport on the way home from Vegas and finished it the day after we landed back in Anchorage. If you didn't know that this book is approximately 1 million pages long it wouldn't seem like that big of a deal, but it is SO long and SO complex. This series takes me a lot longer to read than most other books. Not that I am complaining, but this is the second time I have read this series. That is a lot of Outlander. The only reason I am even reading it again is because another book came out in the series but when I tried to read it I couldn't even remember what had happened in the series because it is so involved. So I have to read about 5,000 - 6,000 pages just to catch up and read the new book.

This series is great, but it is definitely not for everyone. It is a little graphic in parts, and in even more parts it is not so much graphic as shocking, or horrifying, or disturbing. I hate Jack Randall and no matter how much she attempts to reform him in later books I can never forget what happened in this one. I literally cannot ever forget it - even though I have the worst memory in the world, there are somethings you cannot un-read, or un-see in your mind.

But other than some of that stuff (and there is kind of a lot of it) my love for this series has been renewed and I am now looking forward to reading the whole shebang. Even though I have no time to read because I am in the midst of the busiest month and a half of my life! I will make time to read - even if I go without sleep. You can sleep when you are dead, right?

No comments: