Monday, May 9, 2011

No. 36: Gone With the Wind

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

I used to read this book every single year. Like for maybe 10 years in a row starting in 5th or 6th grade. Then my copy of the book disintegrated from over use and I didn't get another copy until now. But you know what? It is still great, although I am sure (much like the other books I have re-read from my youth) I feel a lot different about the characters now than I did then. for example, Scarlett is annoyingly lacking in self awareness - like to the extent that she probably has a personality disorder. And Ashley is kind of a jerk. But Rhett still seems pretty awesome to me! And I would still love to have all those dresses! Some things never change.

An amazing book, maybe I will revive the annual reading tradition.

No comments: