Wednesday, February 15, 2012

No. 26: The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

I needed a break from the non-stop True Blood madness that has consumed my reading time. So what better to cleanse the palette so to speak than some Stephen King?

I read this book for the first time back in high school and I have read it a few times since then but not recently. Perhaps it is because I have not had the time to commit to reading this book, which is likely the longest book I have ever read - the paperback has 1472 pages. It took me about 3 days of periodic reading to finish it, and I have been reading really fast lately (maybe a regular sized paperback in 2-3 hours) so I know it was a LONG book.

But I love a long book, and I love this book even though I am not a fan of Stephen King generally. Once, when I was in high school, I read the book Thinner and I had nightmares for a couple of weeks - horror is not my thing.

But what is my thing is the character development, the struggle between good and evil (I like to think I am a Mother Abigail type person but who really knows), and the excellent almost visual descriptions of the world as it is changed by the flu. It is a great book.

No comments: