Sunday, August 5, 2012

No. 94: Prey

By Linda Howard

It has been awhile since I read a Linda Howard book that I liked. This one was okay, but not great. As an initial matter, the bear that was a terrible man eater was a black bear. I am afraid of bears as a general rule. Afraid one might come in my yard, or attack me on the bike trail. A realistic fear of bears. But on the terrifying bear scale, the top being polar bears (they do want to eat you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise) black bears are at the bottom. Everytime I have seen a black bear they run away! They eat berries and grubs! I just cannot be as afraid of a black bear as I can of a brown bear. So, the whole bear part of the book wasn't as intense as the author probably intended.

As for the bad guy drama. Not really suspenseful. He seemed kind of bumbling to me. I wasn't truly afraid that he would succeed in his nefarious plots.

The trapped in a cabin part was pretty good. Although as usual, Linda Howard and I disagree on appropriate sexy terminology. Vehemently. I did like the swearing though. Appropriate and creative use of profanity is always appreciated.

Finally, as any long time blog reader knows, names are important to me. The MMC's name was Dare. Which is frankly ridiculous and didn't in any way suit the character. And the FMC's name was Angie which was so completely forgettable that even though I just finished the book not 2 minutes ago I had to look and make sure it really was Angie. So not great names.

No comments: