Monday, June 20, 2011

Nos. 42 and 43: The Kane Chronicles

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
The Throne of Fire

I read all of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, then I read the Lost Hero and have been not so patiently waiting for the next installment of that series (The Heroes of Olympus) which doesn't come out until OCTOBER! to come out. So clearly I needed something to read. Then I noticed that Rick Riordan had another series out! Hooray for me! This one is very much like the other two but instead of Greek and Roman gods it is about Egyptian gods, which is very interesting to me because I love to watch televisions shows about Egypt and the pyramids and mummies. I do not however want to go to Egypt, however beautiful and mysterious and amazing it might be, because it seems like it would be filled with bugs and snakes and crocodiles. And I am afraid of those things.

Anyway, this series is focused on a brother and sister who discover that they are both magicians AND direct ancestors of the great Pharaohs of Egypt AND may be hosts/possessed by gods and are responsible for saving the world from an evil god who wants to destroy it. So clearly similar to the other series, but different enough to keep it interesting. One thing I liked is a sort of reference to the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus thing by mentioning that Manhattan is off limits and that there are other things going on over there (ie: Mount Olympus!)

No comments: