Tuesday, July 31, 2012

No. 86: The Wild One

The Wild One by Danielle Harmon

I read this book (and the rest of the series) on the recommendation of one of my favorite authors, Julia Quinn. She recommends good historical novels on her facebook page and this is the first time I have read one of her recommendations and I am glad I did!

This is the first in a series of 4 books about brothers, set in England right around the time of the revolutionary war. The eldest brother is a Duke and he has decided it is time his younger brothers settle down and get married. So he starts to meddle.

The Wild One is the third brother, he is an unrepentant rake and refuses to take anything seriously. His first selfless act is to intervene when highway men attack a coach. He is wounded but saves most of the passengers including a woman and her infant daughter. Turns out, it is his dead brother's fiancee and child! Shocking!

I don't think I have read many books where the romance is between a man and his brother's woman (for lack of a better term - she isn't really his widow since they never married. Also shocking!)

This book was good enough to convince me to read the rest of the series, so thanks Julia Quinn!!!

No comments: