Sunday, October 12, 2008

No. 124: The Serpent Garden

The Serpent Garden by Judith Merkle Riley

This is another book that was recommended on the blog of author Stephanie Meyer. I didn't like it quite as much as her previous recommendation (The Hunger Games) but this was a really interesting book to read. It was set in England and later France during the early reign of Henry the VIII.

Which, in an unrelated note, everytime I read his name I start singing the Herman's Hermits song Henry the VIII. You know what I mean:
"I'm Enery the 8th I am, Enery the 8th I am I am. I got married to the widow next door, she's been married seven times before and every one was an Enery - Enery! She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam - No Sam! I'm her 8th old man I'm Enery, Enery the 8th I am!"

But it was good - a little mystery, political ingrigue, some religous stuff (a demon and some angels), a lot of interesting stuff about painting because the main character was a painter - very interesting. They actually called her a paintrix which is a cool word. There were also some funny lines from a book the FMC reads called "The Good Wyfe's Book of Manners" which is advice on how to be a good wife. I think my favorite is "Love of novelty and amusement is a bad thing in a woman, for it leads her from her duty." I think this might be true because I have 100 craft projects going on and a very messy house :) Or at least it was messy until Aaron cleaned it!!!

I think I am going to lend this one to my Mom and Dad and see if they like it too.

No comments: