Monday, October 27, 2008

No. 133: Tsar

Tsar by Ted Bell

I borrowed this book from Jesse, and embarassingly enough, this book is about a million times better traveled than I am. This book just got back from Bora Bora.

But anyway, this was a good book. I think it is set slightly in the future (not the immediate present because the world leaders are different, but still alive). It is about spies and Russia and cool slightly futuristic technology like giant zepplins and brain computers. It was a pretty long book but I managed to read it in two days, the farther along I got in the book the better it got. I liked the main character (a spy) because he was awesome, but realistic, not like James Bond, but a little like James Bond. I also really liked the secondary characters, and there were a lot. I did not however like the FMC at all. I thought she was weird and weak and her motives were questionable - there wasn't enough explination. Also this book had Navy SEALs, which you know I love.

My two favorite parts were my favorites for totally different reasons. First, I liked that the MMC had a fire pole in his bedroom that went down into a lagoon under his bedroom (he lived in Bermuda) That just seems so awesome - jump out of bed and slide into the ocean!

Second was a really disturbing and gross part about this crazy prison in Russia purposely built on a nuclear waste site so everyone got horribly sick from radiation poisioning (unless they died from being impaled first - eewww). But the cool part was that former Russian President Putin was imprisioned there and had a secret lead lined room in his cell. That is pretty stinking cool.

No comments: