Sunday, June 21, 2009

Infinite Summer - Day 1 - Page 49

I decided to join in the Infinite Summer project and read the book Infinite Jest. A co-worker of mine invited me and another person in the office to participate. I can't turn down a reading challenge. And since I read so much I thought it would be no big deal and read the book pretty quick and move on.

Well, I was kind of wrong. It is difficult to read (although I hear it gets better after page 200. I am on page 49 after 1 day and I will admit to feeling the sinking sense of dread I was warned about but I will persevere. I will be keeping track of such things as the MANY words I do not know (some of which I cannot find definitions for!), funny jokes or lines and other weird things.

So, without further ado - words I don't know:
wen, kekulean knot, magisculed, alpenstock, mise-en-scene, ad valorem, anfractuous (I like this one!), phylacteryish

And a joke (from page 41):

What do you get when you cross an insomniac,, and unwilling agnostic and a dyslexic?
Someone who stays up all night torturing himself mentally over whether or not there is a dog.

So, this 49 pages took me almost an hour and a half - although that includes a LONG time trying to look up the words and write the definitions in my journal. So I can see that this is not going to be a quick read. I think I will have to plan to devote two nights of reading a week to this to get 75ish pages a week and then I can read my usual mindless wonderful romance novels the rest of the week.

No comments: