Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No. 57: Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body

Mutants: On Genetic Variety and the Human Body by Armand Marie Leroi

This is a book that is unlike any other book I have read. It was totally science-y and since I haven't taken biology since high school, some of it was a bit over my head. But some judicious google time and I got it all figured out. It was really interesting though. For example, did you know red hair is the result of a mutation. So technically my sweet baby is a mutant! Although, according to the book we all are, it is just a matter of degree. I am pretty glad I didn't read this book when I was pregnant though, it is amazing how many ways our genes can mutate and cause all kinds of crazy things. It is kind of a miracle that any of us turn out okay!

No comments: