Thursday, August 19, 2010

No. 82: Falling out of Fashion

Falling out of Fashion by Karen Yampolsky

This was an interesting book, but I will have to admit that I might not have been its target audience. I love fashion magazines, I read Seventeen and all those stupid prom magazines religiously when I was in high school. They were awesome. I never cared much for Sassy (which is obviously the model for one of the magazines in this book) because it didn't feature enough makeup tips or ideas of how to get boys to ask you out. And those are the things I cared about in high school.

But despite this, I thought this book was great - the story of how a commune living hippie child makes her way into a rich and fancy magazine editor in NYC and how her life changes. It was really interesting, the characters were deep enough and well described enough that I had a real vision of them. I was happy with the ending (although I imagine a lot of people were not) and although I have no concept of the magazine publishing world outside of The Devil Wears Prada and Ugly Betty, it seemed very realistic and believable.

No comments: