Thursday, August 19, 2010

Nos. 80 - 81: Carter House Girls books 1 & 2

Mixed Bags by Melody Carlson
Stealing Bradford

A friend of mine had these books recommended to her as a good gift for her teenaged niece. She asked if I have ever read them and I hadn't but, in some bizarre coincidence, the first two books in the series were free for my kindle. So I said I would read them and give her some feedback.

After a promising premise - 6 girls from different backgrounds living together in one house - it went down hill pretty quickly. There was a lot of stupid misunderstandings, characters flipping from bad to good without a lot of support or reason, a super useless parental figure, waayyyy too many lesbian comments for no apparent reason, a lot of useless "be yourself messages" that if well executed could have been useful to the books target audiences (christian teenage girls) but in this book were lame and overplayed, the one real "come to Jesus" moment which again could have been great was similarly lame and overplayed. All in all, I didn't care for either of these books. The author was trying too hard to mix edgy teenage drama and Christian lit and instead of coming out with something great came out with a mess full of lesbian jokes. Seriously, what is this author trying to tell her readers with all of the lesbian jokes. I am confused.

No comments: