Wednesday, November 11, 2009

No. 100: The Untamed Bride

The Untamed Bride by Stephanie Laurens

100 books so far this year! Pretty exciting but I am behind where I was last year at this time. I just don't know if I have 40 something more books in me this year. Although, since I read 2 1/2 books today I just might!

This book is the start of a new series - The Black Cobra Quartet - and I have to say I am kind of into it already. A few summers ago, when I was pregnant with Ella, I read the entirety of the Cynster series and the Bastion Club series. Which is really saying something because that is a lot of books. And they were all starting to seem the same, and I decided I was pretty much Stephanie Laurens-ed out. But this book, while retaining a lot of the characteristics of her other series, has enough of a new twist to make them interesting to me again.

This book begins in India, which is an unusual location for a romance, in the years following the Peninsular war and the quartet - the MMCs for the series - are former Guardsmen now employed by the East India Company. Their mission is to destroy the Black Cobra Cult - a gang of vicious murders and terrorists. The FMC in this book is older than the traditional romance heroine who had been sent to live in Jamaica for a number of years following a scandal and her subsequent ruin. They meet and of course fall in love.

I have to say, I liked it very much and I am looking forward to the remaining 3 books in the series.

No comments: