Sunday, November 15, 2009

No. 103: His Lady Mistress

His Lady Mistress by Elizabeth Rolls

This was yet another FREE book for my Kindle! I seriously love free books!!!

However, this book had many of my most hated plot points:

1. The MMC wants the FMC to be his mistress, and then, if she agrees, he holds the mistress thing against her later.
2. The FMC is a young woman in a vulnerable position which makes the mistress option an option.
3. EVERY SINGLE BIT of drama in this book is created by a misunderstanding. Literally - if the characters every really carried on a meaningful conversation instead of being so secretive, oblivious or irrational there would be no excitement.
4. The MMC is a complete jerk - so mean to the FMC - but she looooves him and keeps taking him back and then BAM, he does it again. But it is because he is afraid to love or some such nonsense OR because she used to be a mistress so she is inherently untrustworthy and duplicitous.

Despite all of this, I actually kind of liked the book. I was able to look past some of the not so good stuff to actually care about the characters to some degree, particularly the FMC. I was pretty annoyed with the MMC most of the time, he was a serious jerk for the vast majority of the book. I am glad it wasn't any longer though because I think one more fight based on a minor misunderstanding and it would have lost me. I probably won't read more books by this author unless there are more free books - this was fine, but not really to my taste,

No comments: