Saturday, November 21, 2009

No. 104: New Moon and New Moon Movie Review

New Moon by Stephanie Meyers

I went to see the New Moon movie this weekend so I had to read the book to see how close they were to each other. When a book I love gets made into a movie I want them to be as close as possible. That is one of the problems I had with the Twilight movie - they left out my favorite parts and added in some new parts that I didn't like as much.

But this movie, oh, it was soo good. Very similar, in fact, as I was reading the book again I was happy to see many of the lines in the movie taken directly from the book. There were a few changes and additions, but nothing that irritated me. Actually, I liked that instead of just hearing Edwards voice Bella could see him (anything to get a little more Robert Pattinson into the movie is something I can get behind)

A big surprise to me for the movie is that I actually liked Jacob Black. I pretty much hated him in the last three books of the series and I thought it would taint my ability to enjoy this movie. But it did not at all. Perhaps the amount of time he was shirtless had something to do with it - holy six pack Batman :) Very difficult to remember that he is only 17. I also had strong feelings of affection for the rest of the wolf pack and their shirtless tenancies as well!

I did not have strong positive feelings for Kristen Stewart, the actress that plays Bella though. She really was dreadful - maybe not as bad as in the first movie, but the girl cannot act her way out of a paper bag. She is really nothing like what I pictured Bella to be - I almost didn't even care if she was completely depressed and zombified - I mean, who can tell, her when she is so zombie like as a general rule. But, even her tragic, tragic lack of acting ability could not ruin this movie for me. So, to summarize - I loved the movie and I am going to see it again as soon as possible. And maybe again after that.

As far as the book goes - I think this is the third or fourth time I have read it - I actually really liked it. I don't think I liked it as much in my previous reads. Perhaps it is my fond memories of a shirtless (but VERY young) Jacob Black that improved my opinion of this book, or maybe I just like the book. It is hard to say, but I am eager to read the rest of the series now - these books are addictive to me!!!

I am trying something new with my next post. I have been reading a new series that has 8 or so books in it, I have been reading them pretty much in a row and since I have not been posting they are all running together for me. So I am going to finish up the series and then do one big post for the whole thing. I can tell you right now though, this is like nothing I have ever read before. It is weirdly compelling but also extremely inappropriate - I kind of wish the series would end so I could know what happens and be done without reading more. Pretty weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the end of the year, I think you should do a special post where you pick your top ten books of the year.