Sunday, November 1, 2009

No. 97: Bed of Roses

Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts

I am totally disappointed by this book!!! The first one was pretty good, and then there was a LONG WAIT until this book came out. I was excited, but ultimately let down. There is something going on with Nora Roberts the past year or two - she just isn't doing it for me anymore. Which I think is a terrible shame because I LOVE LOVE LOVE so many of her books - all the Ireland ones, some of the witchy ones, the series with the adopted bad boys - all wonderful. But lately...

There were many problems I had with this book, aside from the super cliched (and not in a good way) plot where the only real conflict is that the FMC loves too much and the MMC is commitment phobic. Seriously, that is played out Nora, you need to come up with something new. Also, there is a fine line between witty, hip dialogue and over the top trying too hard dialogue. Unfortunately, this book seemed to be on the wrong side of the line - too many abbreviations and nicknames and little sayings. And it seems like Nora is trying to kill her poor characters by working them to death - the wedding business seems like too much work and a pain in the butt.

There are still 2 books left in this series - I can tell you right now where things are going. Laurel and Del - which has the potential to be interesting, and Parker and Malcom which I am undecided about. I will finish the series, obviously, but things better pick up or I will be strongly tempted to write my old buddy Nora a strongly worded letter.

No comments: