Wednesday, November 11, 2009

No. 102: Rogue's Challenge

Rogue's Challenge by Jo Barrett

This is the second in what I have termed the Challenge Series. It involves the rich nerdy scientist that the FMC from the last book was hired to protect before she went back in time. I had a real likability issue with this FMC Jenny, she was stubborn to the point of being intractable, very annoying, she demeaned the MMC's intelligence constantly, and she was one of those irritating "I don't believe I am beautiful" girls but yet every guy is in lust with her and she needs constant protection to keep some unsavory character from abducting her based solely on her beauty. I kind of hate that. So, when Ian, whom I had come to like very much in the last book, somehow finds all of these faults to be not incredibly annoying but rather endearing - well, it was too much for me to accept. I know where the author was going, at least I think I do, that nerdy girls who are not necessarily conventionally attractive deserve to win Prince Charming (Ian's nickname in the series) but when the nerdy girls are unbearable to be around, I am not buying it.

And there is the other matter of the villain. He follows her back in time with the intention of kidnapping her to force her father to rightfully acknowledge that he invented a medication. But then when Jenny diminishes the importance of the medication it seems like the guy is crazy and the whole villain part of the story looses something. And it ended without ever really knowing why he was so crazy and what he thought was so important. I find that frustrating.

So I don't know if I will read more books by this author, I imagine if there are more time travel romances I will!

No comments: