Wednesday, November 11, 2009

No. 101: Highlander's Challenge

Highlander's Challenge by Jo Barrett

This is a new author to me, but when I heard that she wrote time travel novels involving the Scottish highlands (one of my very favorite kind of books) I had to give her a try. Turns out this book is one of two interconnected books. So, I had a new author, time travel and a series all in one!

This is the first of the two, it involved Tuck - Amelia Tucker - who is employed as a private bodyguard for a rich and nerdy scientist. She is trying to protect her from kidnapping threats while they travel through Europe including ... Scotland! While they were visiting a castle, they made a wish in a wishing well and shortly thereafter Tuck was sent back in time to the 1400's. The first people she meets are Colin and Ian who are both (of course) ridiculously handsome guys. Then they are attacked and she kicks some butt, as she is wont to do. But Colin is suspicious about her appearance and the "coincidence" of the attack happening so soon after. She goes back to Colin's castle where she makes herself useful as a healer. And falls in love with Colin. And fights many of his men - because chicks can be as tough as Highlanders who have spent their whole lives training for war (or that is what we are supposed to believe) and even beats up Colin a time or two. The problem is, he is betrothed to another and also some evil outside source is trying to stir up a war. Also, there is an inside source trying to stir up some death by poisioning.

While I was glad to find another time travel romance to read, I had some issues with this one. I think in her efforts to make the FMC tough and yet interesting, she went to far on the tough side. I had a difficult time believing that the MMC would fall in love with her, she kept doing crazy things, acting irrationally, escaping and being generally a pain in the butt. So that was kind of annoying - but I think this is definitely my favorite of the two.

No comments: