Tuesday, December 15, 2009

No. 106: A Precious Jewel

A Precious Jewel by Mary Balogh

This book tricked me into thinking it was new and good when in reality I had read it before and HATED it. And I HATED it this time too. In fact, I HATE it so much it I have to use caps when I write HATE.

Why did I HATE a book by one of my all time favorite authors? Author of one of my all time favorite series? (I am looking at you Slightly series) Creator of one of my all time favorite characters? (Wulf!) That is a good question.

First and foremost this is one of those terrible stories about a lady who has fallen on hard times though absolutely no fault of her own and has to become a prostitute. I think that is depressing. Then she meets a guy and even though he is totally paying her for sex, she falls in love with him. And he falls in love with her - even though he treats her like crap occasionally. But it can never be because she is a whore. I hate this kind of plot. I also thought the MMC was a slightly creepy jerk and the FMC was unsympathetic. I didn't care when her heart was broken - that is no good.

I am making a vow - no more books like this. Unless they are free. I can't turn down a free book no matter how terrible :)

Balogh has a new Regency series coming out this winter - I can't wait to read it because her new stuff is ONE MILLION times better than this early 90's nonsense.

No comments: