Wednesday, September 17, 2008

No. 110: Don't Look Down

Don't Look Down by Jennifer Cruise and Bob Mayer

This book was not good. It was actually kind of bad and it took me a long time to finish it. I told Aaron that I thought the book was garbage and Ella has since asked me a million times if the book was garbage and if she should throw it away for me. If it wasn't a library book, I would have been tempted to say yes.

If I had a dollar for every time this book had some stupid special forces cliche I would be a rich woman. And it was the same lame ones over and over - kill zone, double tap, coin check (which I have never actually heard of before but it is still lame). I hardly think that a real Green Beret talks about being a Green Beret so much. At least I would hope not because it would be very annoying. Also, the ex-husband was crazy - he didn't seem to have a real defined character - was he actually crazy, was he in over his head, did he really want her back, did he love the sister. I couldn't even work up the enthusiasiam to be upset about the things he did because I had no idea how I should feel about it. So I felt confused. I felt that way about most of the characters. The only character I genuinely liked was the 5 year old. Everyone else was either dumb, annoying, or too confusing.

So, even though I have read books by this author before (on her own, not with this Mayer character) I will hesitate to read another.

No comments: