Monday, January 16, 2012

No. 16: This is All I Ask

This is All I Ask by Lynn Lurland

More Lynn Kurland, but no time travel this time. We have a straight up 13th century love story with very little paranormal-ish avtivity. Berengaria makes her return (perhaps last seen at Artane as a child healer? Can't remember?)

Anyway, as it turns out, back in the not so great old days, your father (expecially if he is a cruel, abusive jerk) could marry a girl off to anyone he wants - even if that person is rumored to be a warlock, son of the devil, human sacrificer, practioner of the dark arts, etc. Gillian (our FMC) is just such an unlucky girl. First her mother dies when she is young, second her dad is a bad bad guy, third, her beloved brother is killed, and finally she is sent to marry The Dragon of Blackmour Keep! Don't you love it when people have great nicknames like that!

She is picked up by Colin "The Butcher" of Berkhamshire - another great nickname and future hero of his own story - and delivered to Blackmour to wed Lord Christopher, he of such a terrible reputation for evil doing. Interestingly, Christopher's squire is none other than Jason, the son of Robin de Piaget!

I won't ruin the story by giving away the SECRET, but, I will say that this was not one of my favorites in my Lynn Kurland read-everything-she-has-ever-written-extravaganza. Not to say it wasn't still good - because it totally was - I just didn't LOVE the MMC the way I like to. I was quite fond of the FMC, and of course I love those de Piaget boys! I need to see if Jason gets his own story or not!

No comments: