Monday, January 16, 2012

No. 17: From This Moment On

From This Moment On by Lynn Kurland

How exciting that the Butcher of Berkhamshire, who featured so prominently in our last book, gets his own story in this one! Poor poor Colin, he is not handsome, also purportedly smelly (not a fan of bathing I suppose) and has quite the reputation.

He has also had a number of brides back out of their betrothal to him for any number of reasons (alledged madness, the pox, etc) but our FMC Alienore didn't even bother to come up with an excuse, she just stole her brother's knightly gear and hit the road. This was 2 years ago and now she is presumed dead. Luckily, she is not in fact dead, but rather masquarading as a knight in the service of none other than The Butcher's new betrothed bride! Ah the irony! Also, as a little added interest, Colin has sworn to kill her if he ever sees her to repay her for the insult of running rather than marrying him.

Now, my problem with this type of pretending to be a knight when you are really a girl trickery are many. Most of my issues were addressed in the story (and quite satisfactorily), but I still can't quite fully buy it. Which makes this not my favorite, but still good.

There is more Jason dePiaget of Artane (who really needs his own book) and more of the Blackmour Lord and Lady, always good to see things are going well :)

I may be nearing the end of the dePiaget related books - I need to do a little checking to make sure I am not missing anything. Then I will move on to the MacLeod books I have not yet read. I hope there are many!

No comments: