Tuesday, January 11, 2011

No. 1: The Perfect Poison

The Perfect Poison by Amanda Quick

So, why did I choose this book to be my first of the year? Well, basically because I needed a break from the Outlander series and I picked this up at a thrift store for .10 cents. I am cheap and I have reading ADD.

I am not even sure why I bought this book - I have read many books by this author in the somewhat distant past, but I never really LOVE any of them which is why it has been awhile since I picked one up. They are all kind of weird. With weird people and their weird "special" powers. Like in this book for example, the FMC can detect botanically based poison. That seems pretty weird and random for a power. I would pick something cooler, like another character who can temporarily make things disappear. Or the other one who can literally scare people to death. Detecting poison seems pretty lame in comparison. But let me not forget her other power - sensing auras. Mainly plant auras, but people too. Again, lame power Lucinda - you got gypped. Also, like essentially every other Amanda Quick heroine ever written, Lucinda has an olde timey name and is an educated spinster who wears glasses.

The MMC's power is somewhat better but also harder to define. He can decipher clues, and uncover evidence trails and stuff. Which is useful since he is a private detective of sorts, but really, killing people with your mind is so much cooler. His name is Caleb which I have never really liked, and I didn't get a clear picture of him in my mind which makes liking him much more difficult.

Anyway, this book was weird, the characters (aside from their lame powers) were weird and somewhat unlikable. Especially the MMC who I thought had a bad attitude. So, the first book of the year was not a wild success, but I have read many a worse book. How is that for an endorsement?

No comments: