Tuesday, January 11, 2011

No. 2: The Year of Living Scandaously

The Year of Living Scandalously by Julia London

Book number two this year was a big fat disappointment. I like Julia London's books usually, and when I read the back cover I thought it sounded pretty stinking good. It had an Earl, an assumed identity, missing jewels, all things that can lead to an awesome and exciting book. And yet, this book really turned out to be both annoying and depressing.

First the annoying - the FMC is overly impetuous (to the point of stupidity) and cannot see the consequences to her actions (again to the point of stupidity) which I find super annoying. If you are going to assume someone's identity, for the love of God have a plan for getting out of it. Do it intentionally. Additionally, the way she acts around the MMC is ridiculously annoying. Not that the MMC is any prize, he has a bad attitude, thinks the FMC is stupid but for some unknown reason still "loves" her. Which I don't totally buy. I also find the FMC's name to be annoying - Keira. I don't know why, it just doesn't seem to fit and it irritates me.

Now the depressing - a two of the major plot points include: the hanging of a potentially innocent man and the suspicious death of his potential lover, AND the rape and subsequent suicide of a young girl. Does that sound like a fun basis of a book to you. The answer is NO! I only like depressing things when there is a happy ending later - there is no possible happy ending that can resolve the unnecessary and tragic death of three characters. Sorry, can't happen.

So, Julia London, while I am typically an admirer of your work, I cannot get behind this overly (and some might say unnecessary) depressing stuff.

2011 is not having a good start - I'd better select books more carefully from now on.

No comments: