Thursday, January 21, 2010

No. 12: Leaving Whiskey Bend

Leaving Whiskey Bend by Dorothy Garlock

I found this book when I was cleaning out my book shelves. I don't know where it came from, or when I got it, but I am always happy to find a new book to read.

It is a historical western, set in Colorado. The story starts when Hallie (the FMC) and her friend Pearl set out to rescue their friend Mary from her crazy and abusive step brother Chester. The women make their escape and find their way to the ranch of Eli Morgan.

There are really like 4 or 5 plots going on in one book - I think it may have been a little too much for one story, and not a particularly long one at that. There is the mystery of who killed Eli's brother, the Fawn being obsessed with Eli issue, the Seth McCarty hating Eli problem, the Chester after Hallie, Pearl and Mary thing, the romance between Hallie and Eli, the potential romance between Hank and Pearl, the fact that Eli's older brother thinks he is Abraham Lincoln, Eli's mother's injury, Eli and his Mother's extreme dislike of each other, the fact that Abe thinks Mary is really his wife Mary, the fact that Mary is in a coma (or something like a coma) - seriously, a lot going on for one book. At one point in the book, there are so many dramatic climaxes that every character is involved in one and so they cannot really help each other.

But all in all it wasn't bad - just not great. I am sure I have read other books by this author, but it must have been a long time ago - before I started this blog. I don't think I am ready to add Garlock to my list of must read authors, but I would certainly read more of her books if I happened to find them on my bookshelf :)

No comments: