Monday, January 4, 2010

No. 2: Murder Takes the Cake

Murder Takes the Cake by Gayle Trent

This book was FREE!!! I do love a free book. And unlike many of the free books I have read, it wasn't completely terrible. In fact it was just fine. If you have not read any of the Joanna Fluke series (ie: Blueberry Muffin Murder) you would probably really like it. Unfortunately for me I have read 9 books in that series and got baking/murder/mystery-ed out. I think the genre is "cozy mysteries" where the main characters engage in some kind of domestic activities like knitting or baking. Here, the FMC is a cake baker and decorator. This book is very similar to that series, down to the sister working in real estate and the troubled relationship with her mother. The author's styles are very different though, I much prefer the FMC in this book, not as annoying! And surprisingly she was older than the typical FMC, in her 40's I believe, which is unusual but interesting. So definitely worth a read.

No comments: