Monday, January 4, 2010

No. 3: The Crossroads Cafe

The Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith

Another FREE book - I am really on a roll with these free books, I love Amazon and I love my Kindle! And I really liked this book - if you have a Kindle, you should get it. Even if it is not free. The FMC - Catheryn - is a super famous and beautiful movie star - the most beautiful woman in the world. But, on her way home from the launch of her new cosmetics line she is in a car accident and is badly burned on both her face and body. AND the accident and her catching on fire was all videotaped by a malicious paparazzi who did nothing to help her. So the story goes through her recovery and her journey to the small town in Appalachia where her grandmother lived.

The MMC is Thomas, an architect who is living in the small town following the death of his wife and son on 9/11. It is terribly sad and he is pretty much on the verge of killing himself from grief and guilt.

I don't want to give too much away, but it is a good book - if a teeny tiny bit drama filled. Everyone had something tragic in their past, the death of a child or loved one. But not over the line of excessive - just very close. I actually cried 3 or 4 different times while reading it. Which is a good recommendation, I was emotionally invested enough to care what happened to the characters. It doesn't happen as often as you would think.

No comments: