Monday, March 15, 2010

No. 25 - 29: Percy Jackson and The Olympians Series

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
The Sea of Monsters
The Titan's Curse
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Last Olympian

I read this series in about three days. It was good and the books seem kind of short and they were very quick reads. Because I read them so fast (and it was a couple of weeks ago) they all run together so I am going to do one review for the whole series.

Despite the many many similarities to Harry Potter, I thought the series was unique enough to be an interesting series and I didn't spend the whole time thinking "this is just like Harry Potter!" I only thought that when I was describing the series to someone else.

The main character is Percy Jackson, a kind of troubled kid who has been kicked out of every school he has been to and has a hard time learning because of ADHD and dyslexia. But, as it turns out, he is not an ordinary troubled kid, he is in fact the son of Poseidon! He discovers this when he makes his way to Camp Half Blood - a summer camp for other children of gods. Apparently the gods are very busy having half-mortal children all the time. The camp teaches them to fight monsters and try to stay alive.

The series follows Percy and his friends though several adventures and years at camp culminating in a final battle in Manhattan when the Titans (imprisoned by Zeus and the gods for thousands of years) have escaped and are seeking their revenge. I won't spoil it for you though :)

No comments: