Wednesday, March 31, 2010

No. 43: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

I needed a book to read at work today, and this was FREE from Amazon and I had never read it before so I decided to give it a try. It was fairly short and very very easy to read. It was similar to the movie but there were a lot more differences than I would have expected. I have seen the movie countless times so whenever the book differed (or I guess technically whenever the movie differed from the book) it threw me off. Some of the classic parts of the movie were not included in the book - Glinda didn't show up until the end (and her dress was white not pink) the ruby slippers were not ruby but silver, she didn't wake up at home in bed and say "you were there, and you were there!" Not a single tree threw a single apple. There were many more encounters with different types of people/animals/creatures in the book. And most shockingly perhaps, there were no representatives of the lollipop guild to be found!!! I was also surprised to see how little description there was in the book, it was much less vivid than I would have expected. Whomever transformed this book into the movie is a genius. I did save one favorite line:

"it is worth a lot of bother to be able to think properly"

No comments: