Thursday, March 18, 2010

No. 38: Shadow Music

Shadow Music by Julie Garwood

When I came home from work this afternoon everyone was taking a nap! I had to take advantage of a quiet house by curling up with a good book. It was very nice to read in peace. It would have been better if I could have read in bed, but there were people in it sleeping. Jerks.

Despite the sleeping jerks, I thought this was a good book. It was Julie Garwood's return to the Scottish highlands that I love so much. Although this was similar to a lot of her earlier books, it wasn't quite as good. I am not sure why though, it had a lot of the characteristics I enjoy - a likable FMC, a hunky Scottish laird (although his name is Colm which I am not sure how to pronounce so it was a little irritating) there were bad guys and treasure and many kidnapping attempts. And revenge, obviously. One thing I found a touch aggravating was that apparently the FMC is SO beautiful that two creepy older barons went to extremely great lengths (I am talking murder and plotting and lying to the king lengths) to have her. I cannot visualize a woman that gorgeous. But maybe she exists. Like a half-English Helen of Troy. Who knows.

Anyway, the book was good. I love Julie Garwood. She needs to write more books faster. Thank you.

No comments: