Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No. 36: Sushi for One?

Sushi for One? by Camy Tang

Yet another FREE book (the spending freeze lives on) and yet another "inspirational" or religious book. I have to admit I am not feeling the religious piece of these recent books. It seems very forced, like the author has to remind themselves "Oh wait! This is a religious romance - better throw something church-y in." And I have not found any of it inspirational. It is 95% complaining about church and 5% talking about the positive effects religion has had on the characters life. Very aggravating.

I found this book to be particularly irritating. Significantly with respect to the religion part, but I also did not like the FMC AT ALL. In fact, I wasn't overly fond of any of the characters, although the MMC Aiden wasn't overly terrible. The FMC though, she was extremely clumsy and accident prone for someone who is considered an athlete, she is whiny, cranky, constantly hurt or sick or about to throw up. She needed non-stop attention and care and then claimed to be independent and strong.

And she was kind of dumb. Yep, I said it. Not bright. I think she should have gotten therapy after her rape (8 years ago) I think she should have stood up to her crazy-evil-controlling Grandmother by telling her the truth and demanding that she stop putting her in uncomfortable situations with men. I think she should have stopped using her religion as a both a crutch and a shield. If she liked Aiden she should have tried to share her faith with him instead of deciding that she could never be with him because he wasn't a Christian. And then later when he decided to investigate his own faith he suddenly became acceptable.

So, clearly I found this book irritating :) I do not think I will read the rest of the series. And I think I am going to take a break from the religious themed romance/chick lit novels for awhile. At least until I can find one that does not make me crazily annoyed. I am sure there have to be some good ones out there. I know I have read them in the past. I will have to do some research.

No comments: