Monday, March 15, 2010

No. 35: Lord Carew's Bride

Lord Carew's Bride by Mary Balogh

This is the second reprinted book. It follows Dark Angel by a couple of years and features Samantha, the cousin of the FMC in Dark Angel. I have to say I didn't like this one as much. In a lot of the more traditional regencies one of the main characters has some kind of disability. In this one, it is the MMC - Hartley Wade who has a permanent disability following a horse riding fall as a child. It is not the disability itself that bothers me - it can be done very well (think Syndham Butler!) but in this book the MMC is not described as physically attractive to the FMC at all. Although I believe she admires his eyes. Otherwise she finds him kind of plain and ordinary looking. I am not ashamed to admit that I want my MMCs to be handsome. It makes the story more believable - even if they are only handsome to the FMC. She never once admits to finding him attractive, aside from his nice eyes. The other part I didn't care for was the fight. I think he should have just shot him in a duel and gotten it over with. But it wasn't that big of a deal. It is worth a read, but I preferred Dark Angel and I much prefer her newer books.

No comments: