Monday, March 15, 2010

No. 30: Daring Chloe

Daring Chloe by Laura Jensen Walker

This was another FREE book from Amazon. I am back on a free book kick because I used up the last of my gift cards (and money) buying the entire Percy Jackson series over 3 days. I have to say I was kind of disappointed by this book. The plot had promise, but the characters were irritating and the writing seemed very inconsistent. Apparently this is some kind of Christan chick-lit, but I didn't get much from the Christan point of view besides a few references to church (mostly avoiding church and complaining about it) a couple of bible verses and praying.

I had two main problems with the book. First was the characters. The author spent very little time describing the main characters (ex: Chloe, Tess and Becca) so that I could not get a clear picture of them in my mind. The primary description of Chloe, and the only one I can remember from the whole book is that Chloe has brown hair and glasses like Tina Fey. Becca likes birkenstocks and Tess is not as old as she seems. I like a more vivid picture of the primary characters than that. There was more description of some of the other characters - the women in the book club and Chloe's family - but not much. I kept getting the book club ladies mixed up in my mind and so I couldn't get that into their stories.

My second problem was the extreme variances in description. While there was a lot to be desired as far as character descriptions go, there were several paragraphs describing Chloe's apartment, several chapters describing Paris and the other destinations the book club's adventures took them and approximately 1 million references (both short and long) to the books the club read. Now, I won't lie, the Paris parts book made me want to see Paris desperately. But they didn't make me like the book any better. I though the book was too long and to broken up.

I am sure that I will not read the remainder of this series unless it is free too. And even then, I don't know if I have it in me.

No comments: